Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Art of Sugar Crafting


This week I completed a course on Gumpaste flowers ala the Wilton method. It was fun, but hard work and at times quite frustrating. The flowers were exciting to make but so delicate that the least little bump or wrong move could cause them to break. Several times in class I caught myself holding my breath as I attached the fragile blossoms to the florist wires. Our class instructor, Debra, kept reminding us that practice makes perfect, and I know she is right. Some of my flowers were too thin, thus the breakage. In time I'll master the appropriate shapes and thicknesses. But for a first effort I don't think I did too badly.


Throughout the afternoon as I worked on my daffodils, lilies, and other cake class homework assignments, I kept looking out the window to study the real daffodils growing in our yard. As much as I enjoy making the simulated flowers, there really is nothing like the real thing. I wonder how on earth it is that humans evolved from killing and eating wild things like mastadons during prehistoric times to present times developing the skills, and notions that they could craft flowers from sugar! How amazing the human mind is.


Isn't it something that we can live in such a world where food can be art. This is one of the things I love about cake decorating -- making edible art. I also think what I've grown to love the most about taking cake decorating classes is connecting with kindred spirits who enjoy learning about the intricacies of various techniques, being creative, and all of the sharing that goes on. It's fun to hear what others are doing with their cake decorating skills, be it professional, as a hobbyist, or for personal use.

No comments: